Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wordful Wednesday: iPod Meme

On my trip this weekend, I did Jenners' iPod meme (rules follow.) And for my real-life friends, a meme is a little game that you play, usually a list of questions to answer much like the "25 Random Things" meme on Facebook that I read 250 times. Oh no, I didn't mind. And I have no idea why "meme" is the acronym. Anybody? Anybody? Buehler?

But before we begin, may I just say that I rarely use the shuffle feature on my iPod. My playlists just rock that much. And so, there happened to be some cosmic connection with this exercise because, my list is very revealing about me. It touches every phase of my life, which is a pretty tall order.

1. Trouble - Dave Mathews (solo Some Devil album). Post-undergrad, pre-Charlottesville-stint era. This song is me in my bare feet, jumping, twirling, spinning, raising my arms above my head and leaping, breathless and modern dancing around the hardwood floors in the immensely long living room in our downtown Charlotte condo. Pre-K. (Pre kids.)

2. Pay For What You Get (live) - Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds (March, 2003). I was there, it was incredible. Late mid-20s era. "Everybody asks me how she's doing.. has she really lost her mind?" Need I say more?

3. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town - Pearl Jam. Undergrad era. We both love Pearl Jam, and saw them live in Greensboro, NC in 2000. Great show, go if you can.

4. Border Song - Elton John. Middle school era. I love most EJ, but especially the 70s classic stuff.

5. Sadness, Part 2 - Enigma. High school era. Ah, high school melancholy. Used to get this stuck in my head during swim practice.

6. Brian Wilson - Barenaked Ladies. Somewhere from my late-20s.

7. Nothing Left to Lose - Matt Kearney. Current era. This song is parfait! for road trips. Or running. Or, just listening and reflecting.

8. Angie - The Rolling Stones. Youth era. I grew up listening to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in middle school (one day walking into 6th grade English I had "Over the Hills and Far Away" stuck in my head) due to 10-years my elder sister, and 7-years my brother. Saw the Stones live in Cville 3 years ago. Still kickin' it!

9. Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Jones. Youth era. I would listen to great 80s music 24/7 if I could, and wanted all 80s at my wedding (husband nixed that.) Love it, love it, love it.

10. Mozart Violin Sonata in B Flat (Andante) - Guess. Mozart. Current era. I have a lot of classical on my iPod for myriad reasons, mostly because I like Mozart. But also for the baby-now-toddler years, the importance of which is impossible to measure but probably great.

Bonus! 11. Hush Little Baby - Unknown Artist. Current era. I have a small sampling of music class music on my iPod, mostly for car trips but also for help, should I ever have the need to break out into "Open, Close Them" or "Pop Goes the Weasel".

This was fun! Thanks Jenners! Now is the part where I tag someone to play. I choose my good pal K, at Interstitial-Life, because I haven't seen her do this yet and I'm very interested!

Rules for The iPod Shuffle Meme

Using the shuffle feature on your iPod (or other MP3 player), write down the first 5 or 10 songs that play.
Justify, defend or explain why those songs are on your iPod.
Tag someone else to complete the meme.
Include these rules--and the phrase "The iPod Shuffle Meme was created by Jenners at Life with A Little One and More -- the greatest blog on the Planet Earth and perhaps the Universe" when you post your meme answers. ***

:: Important notice!!! If you have embedded comments on your blog, make sure people can post comments. Word verification is acting up, according to blogger.

8 comments:

Debbie February 25, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

This is one meme I can't even fake do because I don't have an Ipod! But I always enjoy reading what other people have on theirs:)

Anonymous,  February 25, 2009 at 5:34 AM  

I think the music other people has is very intersting.

I still love my high school era music the best - I'm sure that says something unflattering about me.

CDB February 25, 2009 at 5:56 AM  

K, TAG! Nobody will notice if you're writing while on the elliptical at the gym!!

septembermom February 25, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

My kids keep telling me that I have to get an Ipod. It's great to come across another big Dave Matthews fan! "Crash Into Me" is my favorite these days. When we are in the van, my kids will say, "Oh no, not another Dave Matthews song!" It shows how many of his CDs I have loaded in my CD player. I was listening to Led Zeppelin and KISS (imagine) back in 6th grade too!

buffalodick February 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM  

The music we like the most, usually gives a clue to our age! I have tried more than most, to keep up with new bands, artists, sounds, etc... I still find myself enjoying the music I listened to from age 13 thru 30.. Ever wonder why we can remember the words to an old song, and don't remember our license plate number?

Jenners February 25, 2009 at 8:03 AM  

I love the diversity of your songs -- and I think we would get along good on a road trip.

I love that it touched all different parts of your life -- pre-K, K and when you were a K! That is why I love the shuffle feature .. it is like getting a bunch of old and new friends together and watch them bump awkwardly into each other.

And I love how songs just so identify a certain time and place in life. When you mentioned the Howard Jones song, I immediately flashed back to my first college roommate who was a huge Howard Jones fan and had a photo of her with him.

And I'm surprised the Stones are still rocking it as of 3 years ago ... I just always get embarrassed when I see them. but perhaps I should rethink that!

And "Over the Hills and Far Away" is my favorite Led Zep song EVER!

Loved this!

J Cosmo Newbery February 25, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Meme is a phrase coined originally by Richard Dawkins, about how ideas and concepts spread through society. A virus of the mind, if you like. Things like community wisdom, music, beliefs.

Internet memes are similar but not as cerebral; jokes, catchphrases, competitions etc.

Oh, and I don't have an iPod.

Fay February 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

Just wanted to let you know that you are doing a wonderful job with this blog.

I've recently had the pleasure to do a review of "Fingers and Paws" and I'm very happy to inform you that your blog has been added to Blogging Women.

I want to thank you for sharing your blog with me and now with the readers of our blog directory.

It's my honor to add another quality women's blog to our directory.

Wishing you continued success!!

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP