Monday, February 9, 2009

Asian Yogis Meet the Bachelor

Do you ever notice that just when things are going along quite predictably, upon the same pattern, clippity clop, clippity clop, that you tend to expect the same things, again and again? Maybe to the point of even expecting a non-native English speaker to not, you know, speak English and therefore, not watch English or American television shows? Let alone, American reality shows?


Before I completely bewilder you, and you derail, jump off the tracks and run down the road towards another blog, let me share an example.


I teach a yoga class every Monday morning, to seniors, at a senior center. We live in an extremely ethnically-diverse Metro area, and nearly every one of my senior yogis is a non-native English speaker from a Far Eastern Asian country.. Vietnam. Korea. Japan. Hong Kong, China. (Syria, Bolivia and South Carolina are also represented, as they should be in a properly diverse community.)


Imagine my surprise, then, when I overheard this soundbyte:


"YES! And some are just too immature. You know, to be Moms."

"I like the Canadian."

"There's that one, whats-her-name, that always has all that hair in her face. Move your hair!"

"I really liked the one with the daughter. The sweet little girl. What was her name?"



I slowly turned around, in amazed wonderment. Were two of my many worlds colliding? Could they be? Were they talking about The Bachelor?! I cozied up to them and joined in, adding my two cents of the inanity of a bunch of attractive single girls wanting to SIGN UP to be a nose-wiping, shuttle-driving, board book-reading, high-fivin', dancin' and smilin' short order cooking step- MOM. Every week, never fails, I say aloud to my imprisoned on the couch at 9PM husband, "Really?! Do they have any idea what they are signing up for? No clue. Cancel a date and she's "lucky"? Really?!"


We, my cosmopolitan, reality-TV watching Asian yogis and I, decided Jill was "It". Mature, confident, "ready", intelligent. (Now that he kicked off gorgeous and hilarious Lauren, whom nobody could "get" except me and a bunch of other smart, funny bloggers.)

Now that I've seen tonight's episode, and have had several "Really?!" moments (dove memorial, crazy hat box party..how did that not scare him away?), I have solidified my view that Jillian is the only one remotely aware of what the next stage of life really involves. Party over, girls! Sign up and check out of the bar scene! Well, except Naomi who can head right back there.

And I heard through the blogovine that that isn't really his house. HA!

6 comments:

Anonymous,  February 10, 2009 at 4:47 AM  

Very cute.

I like Jill too. I taped last night's show, but I haven't watched it yet so don't tell me what happened.

buffalodick February 10, 2009 at 5:46 AM  

Imagine a guy with a real puzzled look on his face, and you got me...

Sandra February 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

REally? Not his house??? I knew it was too...

Sleepless in Seattle...

I just knew it.

Here from Mamakat's Mr. Linky.

Sprite's Keeper February 10, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

I've listened in on a few episodes and frankly, this season's premise scares me. I kinda wish they kept the whole "love me, love my kid" thing out of it.

Unknown February 10, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

Jason and I are pulling for Gillian too! She's very charming and fun, but also sincere and mature. Also, beautiful!

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP