Thursday, February 26, 2009

Friday Freefall: Why Do You Blog?

I walked outside, fell down and smacked my head against the pavement.

No, not really. But I've done a lot of memes, bloggy games, linking lovely lyrical lengthy lists lately, and I feel now that I need to get back to the conversation. My conversation with myself you, bloggo-friends. And lurkers: you know who you are!! No, I still do not know how to do those cool strikethroughs.

I have waited all my life to be able to learned to strike through words now. Thanks, Jenni!
(And I'm officially tired of using the word "bloggy". Henceforth, I shall be repetitive creative.)

I'm having an internal debate, about whether it's important to post here daily. Forgetting for a moment about the dust piling up in the living spaces, toys not put away, and pulling a dish out of the dishwasher to use it again because nothing is clean (what? I didn't do that), I think I've come up with my conclusion: I think it's important to write.

I began this bloggerific journey to enhance my creativity, find my muse, pull motivation out of places I didn't know existed, and write. I don't want to lose sight of that, so.. if you don't see me here one day, please know that I'm saving you some of your precious time with what you do not find.

(That said, I love reindeer games. I do! So, I simply cannot help myself at times, please understand. After all, the 25 Random Things list is what got me talking about Ricki, God save her. And eventually might get me to tell the Kevin Costner story, with pictures. Oh, that house was gorgeous. And I have tons of pictures!)

Back to the point. I began a short story yesterday that I've been working over in my head. I thought of it last month when I was on a plane. My goal will be to submit it to a local short story contest, and start facing facts: that I'm hardly unique in this realm, and that I need to know how I stack up. If anyone is interested, I can post the first two paragraphs over the weekend. A treat. A little light weekend reading for your pile. You can be brutal, tell me if you yawned, or worse, closed your eyes and clicked a link - any link - to get away.

Happy Friday!
:: :: ::

15 comments:

Blicky Kitty February 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM  

Oh I'd love it! Kevin Cosner story too puleeez. :)

Anonymous,  February 27, 2009 at 4:08 AM  

I think it's okay to blog when you want to blog and take a day off when you want.

It's supposed to be fun, not work so it it's adding to the stress take a day now and then - we (your bloggy friends) will still be here when you get back.

(Great seeing you yesterday.)

Jenners February 27, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

I definitely think you need to only blog if you feel like it -- it should be fun. If your goal is to write, then the blog can help but there is nothing wrong with taking time to work on other types of writing "offline." And what better way to get feedback on your writing than by posting it on your blog? And here -- I have a link I recently found that may be of interest to you:

http://www.pw.org/blog/10864

High Heeled Mama February 27, 2009 at 6:08 AM  

Ah, the eternal struggle...write here when you need to, but we won't fault you for taking a day to ponder, to write elsewhere or to run that dishwasher. ;) We'll be here to read whatever you post whenever you post it!

For me, the blog keeps me physically writing when I can't seem to wrap my brain around that "big" idea I should be working on. Of course that was when peanut was napping and I actually had a little time to write a grocery list, not to mention a blog post or a paragraph!

Good luck!

buffalodick February 27, 2009 at 7:45 AM  

I have said this a dozen times; It's your blog, do what you will with it. I don't post everyday, and sometimes it's hard to keep up comments with people that do. As far as fictional stories, Jeff, a blogger who enjoys this activity immensely, created a separate blog for writers, away from his true to life writings- I thought this a good idea, but that's up to you..
I use my blog as a rolling history of my life and it's events- someday my family may be glad I did...

CDB February 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

Thanks, y'all, for these thoughtful comments. I'm debating about whether to start a separate blog for the writing/photography. There IS only so much time in a day, last I checked.

A Closet Writer February 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

My oldest son asked me very pognant question, "Mom, is there anything you do other than just clean the house and take care of us?" It is that question that helped me to realize, that writing is what I need to do for myself. I think it's awesome that you are doing other writing projects other than blogging. And I totally agree with Jenners comments.

septembermom February 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM  

I think your blog is a great venue for you to explore your creativity through writing. I agree that you should not feel compelled to blog every day. I've enjoyed all your posts so you're great at keeping an audience interested! I really look forward to reading some of your short story.

Sprite's Keeper February 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

Submit, submit, submit! Writers ARE unique, it's just reading them over and over which brings out those special qualities. I would love to read your short story! Have a great weekend!

Kitten February 27, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

Please post the paragraphs! We'd love to read them!

And if you need to take a day off, do so! It'll help preserve your creativity!

P.S. The comment verification was ovelyou. Switch the L to the first letter of the word and you have a message about how we all feel about you. :)

Anonymous,  February 27, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

Good luck with your story!

Jenni February 27, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

You can blog if you want to...
You can leave those memes behind...

Jenni February 27, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Oh and to strike!

You put these things <> around the word strike in front of what you want to cross out.

then you put these things <> again around /strike at the end of it!

IB February 28, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

I blog when I feel like it. Sometimes a week will go by before I post again. It doesn't seem to be any big deal.I suppose I would have more followers if I posted everyday and worked harder at the "networking"...

In any event, as my friend Braja (http://lostandfoundinindia.blogspot.com) once told me, just do what you like to do.

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP