Friday, February 6, 2009

Spin On Saving

Jen, over at Sprite's Keeper, has a great Spin Cycle this week: it's about saving money. It's really always been about saving money for my husband, his entire life. For me, it's always really been about how to spend it. So, we're an interesting pair. Plus, after yesterday's scathing comments on my list, I guess it's time for something mainstream.

Here is a smattering of examples of things my husband does, automatically, as if this were normal and everyone did this:
1. Washes and irons and starches his own (work) shirts.
2. Buys the giant pack of chicken breasts at (Harris Teeter on the East Coast, CostCo for everyone normal) at $2.99/lb, breaks them up into two breasts per zip lock bag, some with BBQ, and puts them in the freezer.
3. He drives very (agonizingly) slow. Highway and "please, please hurry sweetie we are really , really late" lanes.
4. Auto-draft investments into mutual funds.
5. High percentage 401(k) contribution. 10%.*
6. Coupons for grocery store runs.
7. Don't spend any money on oneself or one's spouse*. He wears the same pair of slippers he's been wearing since college. THIS IS NOT NORMAL.
8. Claim that your child really only needs one pair of shoes at a time, until he grows out of them.*
9. Keep the thermostat at 68 or below*. (I win this battle daily, which is my daily battle win. I can't do that with the toddler! Small victories.)
10. Turn off the vents to the guest room where we don't sleep, play, or use. Doubles as a wine cellar.
* Yes, most women would not be casually accepting of these. I guess that means I'm not like "most women."

However, I have some ideas of my own. I'll be succinct (finally!)
For those with kids:
1. Babysit swaps and co-ops. Large toy swaps. Try asking, you never know.
For those without kids: stop here. Count up all the money you save by not having a kid.
2. Freecycle. She who giveth then taketh away.
3. Craigslist. Live in a small town? Apply to add your town.

:::

I have a two-for-one today. OneMinuteWriter is doing something new, Fiction Fridays, and I'm in. Excited. Here's my contribution:

He raced down the narrow hospital hallway again, to check on her. She was breathing normally again, and the nurse was just leaving. Their conversation had been brutally short, before impact.

"Is she going to be okay?" His wild eyes searched.

"Oh, I think she'll be just fine," the older nurse smiled, knowingly. "Is she.. related to you?"

"She's my future wife," he answered slowly.

He turned back toward the room, still mesmerized.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  February 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

Love the ideas. I think my husband does all the same stuff as your husband. He packs his own lunch, clips coupons and even watches sales. I think it's better that way, but it can be a bit annoying.

Jeanne Estridge February 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM  

Old Dog and I are both pretty cheap -- and it's coming in handy since I took a huge pay cut!

buffalodick February 7, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

I was always on some sort of commission set-up, and Dutch! This meant being careful and frugal... Always bought deals, saved more than most, paid for our kids college without going into hock, etc. Saving money is smart- not being cheap. We've found making a car last, eating at home, and negotiating anything that costs more than $300 bucks will save you thousands of dollars..

Sprite's Keeper February 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

Awesome Spin! I'm sorry I missed it! Last Friday was a mad house at work and I was dropping as many thoughts as I was paperwork. Enough about that. I love Costco. I keep trying to find ways to make the purchases count. Being a family of three, can we play with the meat for a couple of months or should we really buy smaller portion sizes at the local grocery? Ugh, too many selections, not enough freezer! You're linked for this week!

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP