Thursday, February 12, 2009

Friday Free Falling

Fridays always throw me for a loop. So! I'm coming up with a new Friday tradition. Every Friday I will post about a "fall", a mishap, an accident, boo-boo, oops, foot-in-the-mouth, broken bone or fallen hero, and the subsequent band-aid, if anything. It'll be fun. Or, if not, will at least make you feel like a better person.

FF: This morning, my husband accompanied me to the babies music class I teach at a nearby kid's music&movement gym. That way, he could watch and manage punkin' head, whose predilection to wander has been drifting steadily higher. I introduced him to everyone as my toddlers' "manager." It was great. We made it through the whole class, and had reached the free play portion, where my little guy had made his way to the top of the slide. Dad was close by, I was far. Before my very eyes, and those of everyone's around us, another little toddler started UP the slide as my little one started DOWN. A Mom gave the "watch out before they--" signal to my husband, but! Too late. CLUNK. Heads bonked, Moms groaned, Dad mitigates the crying.

After the groans and laughter had subsided, I announced, "his manager is FIRED!" I gave him an 'F'.

Fast forward! To the afternoon playgroup. I'm in a heated conversation about preschool choices. My toddler is making his way up the stairs, where I retrieve him, bring him back to the other toddlers playing with trains, and resume. Repeat, repeat, repeat. As I'm making a crucial point in my must-tell story, on the cusp of the punch line, I see the captive Moms' collective expression change. Time stops. In slow motion, I see one Mom raise her hand and eyebrows to gesture behind me. I turn, in slow motion, and see the tail end of my toddler's tumbling, head over tail down the last two steps.

Scramble, scoop, soothe, sway, shhhh.

Mitigate. (He was fine.) The worst part was coming home to tell my husband, who gave me a D-.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  February 13, 2009 at 3:54 AM  

The toddler falls happen to the best of us.

Glad everyone is fine.

buffalodick February 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM  

That's why God made 'em so short when they're little- not far to fall...

CDB February 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

K:I think it was me that was scarred for life, actually.

Dick:Yes, thank goodness he's short!

Jenners February 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

They are amazingly resilient ... I am amazed at what my little one seemed to go through with no problems. And I'm amazed you told Daddy -- I would have kept that information back to have the "upper" hand!

Jeanne Estridge February 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

Might as well get used to telling your husband everything -- once the little guy starts talking, he'll rat you out anyway. Glad he's okay!

Blicky Kitty February 13, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

Mao, throwing some linky love your way mao. Happy Valentine's Day! Love Blicky

Chef E February 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

Ohhhhh I hate to see any of the little guys go *clunk*!

They started those Gymborie classes way after my little ones could have gone...they are so cute when I see the classes through the window by the coffee shop where I host an open mic.

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP