Thursday, January 1, 2009

Winding Down with Orange and Wine

I'm sitting here finishing the last of my wine, watching the Orange Bowl with my dad. I glanced down and happily realized I still had, what? 30 minutes. New Year's Day is not quite over.. I can still type quickly and get that date stamp.

A New Year's Resolution.

Resolutions and I are friends. Not just on New Year's Day, but every day.. you know how it goes: I'm going to clean more next week: 3 playgroups! I'm going to make dinner in advance tomorrow. I'm actually going to call ____ back when the little guy and I run to the store later. This weekend, we are definitely accomplishing X. I'm going to start watching more trash TV. (What?)

There is a bit of uncertainty in our life right now, and, as with any uncertainty and the predilection to plan ahead, I've been squirmy lately. Like any responsible mother, I like to know what's coming.

Well, enough of living with one foot in the 'future' door. I've been cheating my son, at times, of the very best thing I have to give him: being present. My presence. Not to be confused with "presents" - a la Christmas PRESENTS! Hoo..do we have a lot to load. Getting home with be a journey.. a good exercise in being present. As was listening to my mother reminisce about my childhood after dinner was over, long over, and the New Year's champagne was duly drained. I loved that moment, and I will love when I one day do the same thing with my son.

My other favorite phrases for said philosophy are many: Enjoy the Journey. Don't Miss the Miracle. Just Be. Breathe. Namaste. Being home is a good time for reflection, as is the first day of a New Year. Relax, renew, refresh.

And I don't just mean the screen.

0 comments:

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP