Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Steamy Post

I had a roommate in Breckenridge, CO (where I moved straight from early undergrad grad ceremonies) that was a Search & Rescue climber.. rock climber, ice climber, frozen waterfall climber, you name it. They'd have random drills at 3 AM.. you know, to make sure you were still a committed volunteer. So he was constantly out in the cold, diving into avalanches. He used to go sit in the steam room at the Breck Rec Center every time he started to get stuffy.

Think of it, that limitless lifestyle, being able to take off at any point and go rescue a lost skier. Or, more pertinently, sit in a steam room. How luxurious does that sound?

I decided to find out, since my fitness center mercifully offers 1) a steam room and 2) childcare. Not only childcare, but a play kitchen! Whoa! Said steam room was closed all of December, and part of November (I know, because I called every day.) Today, it was heavenly operational.

You know that feeling when you, the encumbered airline passenger approaching security, has to place all items into the gray bins, disrobing from all coats, shoes, bulky sweaters, jewelry and random metal objects on your person? You walk through the metal detector completely unencumbered, in your sock feet. Then, on the other side, as you pass the dude with the wand, you have to put it all back on? Yep.

However, here's one thing the airport security will never have on the other side.. as I walked back into the childcare area to reclaim my busy toddler, he came running at me with full-on careening toddler speed, and hugged my legs. Double Yep.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  January 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

I love childcare at the gym.

I give a little pray for it about 3 times a week.

motherbumper January 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

Now I totally want to find a steam room. And a steam room with child care would be perfection.

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP