Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Served With a Side of Crazy

Random helicopter (hey, it could be "Executive ONE"! It wasn't.)

I've said previously, on this blog, that I procrastinate. Well, that ain't the half of it.

Yesterday morning, I procrastinated from showering until after I'd finished changing my son. I didn't want to change my son until after the dogs had been out and obviously done their deed. I did let the dogs back in. C'mon, it's freezing in Washington, DC, don't you watch the news?! Ok but I didn't want to change until after I'd finished my coffee and put the puzzles away. Also, I like my coffee hot, not warm, lukewarm, or cold. As long as I was finishing my coffee, might as well watch the Obamas head into St. John's church prior to the swearing-in. Also, this big event going on? My town.

I can't stand the idea of missing out on history in my back yard.. but let's review: 1) I have a 19-mo old, who gets cold, and tired, and hungry. 2) Foot traffic only, all bridges closed. 3) See #1 and #2. Ironically, I'd gotten a very cool invite to party downtown with a bunch of huge Democratic donors (thanks, S.!) But, see #1.
You see where this is headed.
Let's serve it up this way: one part capricious, two parts curious, four parts bored, one part frustration, eleven parts crazy. Perfect recipe for.. wait for it. Attempting to drive downtown into D.C. at the eleventh hour prior to the swearing in.
Okay, not really. But I did have to run an errand. My toddler was B-O-R-E-D of the four walls of our living room. I heard news reports of the Metro stations being closed, queues around the block. Bridges closed. National guard and tanks. That's something. We had time. I have Tivo. We hit the road.
I drove East, towards downtown DC. You know, just to see what I could see. I felt the ridiculousness of my own actions, but Toddler was happy, I was still curious, and there millions of people down there. Wanna know what I saw? A lot of cops, all posted to watch out for crazies.. like me.

Hill overlooking Washington Monument, the Mall, the Capitol (all the way to the right. It's far.)
This guy. Just chilling out, enjoying the view of above photo. With the top down. Did I mention it was cold? Side of crazy, dude?
Good shot of Arlington cemetary. Toddler had fallen asleep.


One last parting shot, that I sent to the PIC photo album! Yes, we made it back in time for the ceremonies.



6 comments:

Anonymous,  January 21, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

So I didn't even try to drive, but I do feel guilty about missing out on everything.

Oh well. My DCR is great and I got a good view of the whole thing.

Sprite's Keeper January 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

I think I would have done the same thing!

Keely January 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

I read on someone else's blog no strollers or backpacks either - bit toddler-unfriendly!

CDB January 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

VERY...just picturing myself holding my toddler for five hours made me tired. And I wasn't standing in the cold for that!

Chef E January 21, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

Cute blog there yourself! My son was bald too when he was born, how funny you are...

www.cookappeal.blogspot.com and then go to 'Behind The Wheel Chef' for recipes, and there are some good ones! We are almost neighbors...

buffalodick January 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

I think they should throw the party after somebody did something worthwhile- but that's just me...

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP