Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Writer's Workshop: All of That and More

Start: 10:18 PM
My evening was pulled out from underneath me through no fault of my own because I procrastinate. Something about a college basketball game, tomorrow's playgroup brownies being attacked by my husband (guess he's bitter about the Thin Mints), and a Lifetime movie based on a book I just finished (Memory Keeper's Daughter. SKIP IT. READ THE BOOK.) That's right. Lifetime. We ALL watch it. Only I admit it.

Check out Mama Kat's Writing Workshop, rocking it on Wed. night! The prompts:

1.) Write a limerick; 2.) Normal is...
There was an attention-starved Lady from Normal
Dressing up and then down for the formal
Pretty lace that she wore
Fluttered fast to the floor
With the help of the gent who had scorned her.

3.) Describe a memorable camping experience.
Set up the tent two feet from the banks of a gushing river in CO, thinking that would be a nice sleep aid. It kept me up ALL NIGHT because I kept having to pee.

4.) What's the best thing that has happened this week?
I went with my 21-mo old toddler to a friend's house to play this morning. It's been a rough week, he's getting over his fifth ear infection and was a total peanut-sized a**-- train wreck every day. One or two of the days I'm pretty sure he was trying to kill me. This wore on my nerves and started to grind me down, causing me to revert to my childhood where things were solved by yelling, making menacing faces and exasperated, drawn out sighs.

This friend was a quiet, calming influence, everything smooth, nothing is that big of a deal. Her daughter is a quiet, calm sweetheart. In one powerful moment, I saw my child growing up to be a yelling tyrant if I didn't change my actions and - more important, equal and opposite reactions. Starting today and everyday thereafter. And that's what I've done. I brought the savasana back to our daily lives. Focus on the breath.

5.) Did you have a childhood hideout? Where? Describe it.
My diary.


6.) Words that hurt me.

I'm a red-headed, fiery-tempered, mostly Irish, partly (1/12th) Cuban, youngest of three, female Scorpio... everything bothers me!

(But what doesn't kill you... makes you smarter.)

End: 10:48PM

17 comments:

Anonymous,  March 5, 2009 at 3:54 AM  

I really like the normal poem.

Good luck with the peanut. I've also had a similar week. I self medicated with tea, cookies and a day off from work. I feel better now, but the inlaws arrive later today so all bets on sanity are off.

Jeanne Estridge March 5, 2009 at 4:04 AM  

A. had repeating ear infections -- I always figured she was a kid who, if born at the turn of the century, would have died before her fifth birthday, as so many kids did before antibiotics. Which was not at all helpful when I was trying to make it through life with NO SLEEP because she was sick and crying all the time.

buffalodick March 5, 2009 at 5:42 AM  

I am a Limerick addict....

Jenners March 5, 2009 at 6:00 AM  

Love the limerick! I was going to try that and rhyme "Phuket" with "bucket" and "f**k it" but then realized I wasn't sure it rhymed -- perhaps Phuket rhymes with "bouquet."

And Lifetime, huh? Good for you for owning it!

septembermom March 5, 2009 at 6:20 AM  

Great limerick! I have my stressed out moments too with my kids. I'm always trying to step back and get it all together before I react. It's a constant challenge. I think half the battle is realizing that you want to be a calmer mom. When I try to relax, I do notice that the kids seem to take note and calm down a bit. My fiery Irish temper is hard to extinguish on some crazy days:)

CDB March 5, 2009 at 6:24 AM  

@Kim, I'm glad to hear that! I used coffee, brownies, and Lifetime. My MIL is heading here this wknd too! GOOD LUCK.
@Jeanne, hm. No sleep hasn't hit us yet. GREAT. (And the new profile pic is lovely!)
@Buff: Write one in response!!
@Jenners: I had a hard time rhyming with "Normal"!
@SeptMom: we're in the same boat! Our ancestors did a doozy on us.

Michelle March 5, 2009 at 7:26 AM  

Fiery red head......I knew I liked you! :) Great job on the prompts! I hope you sons ear infections are clearing up. Kids in pain cause moms to be in pain.

KatBouska March 5, 2009 at 7:33 AM  

Your poem is hilarious! I love it.

I'm having the same issues with Kainoa...minus the ear infection (FIVE!?!) and double the yelling. Why do they have to be so difficult!?!

Oh and that book is on my "to read" list...I'll be sure not to watch the movie. Isn't it always that way!?!

Sometimes Sophia March 5, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

Senor loves Lifetime. I watch by default. Loved the limerick... well, actually all your responses were great. How ambitious of you to answer all six prompts!!

"everything bothers me" made me LOL.

Debbie March 5, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

If everything bothers you, life must be tough:) Enjoyed the post.

Jen March 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

I can't sleep when near water either. Totally makes me have to pee too.

mielikki March 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

wonderful limerick. And great realization about the calm factor. Having been raised by a Mom who raised her voice to make her point clear to us on a regular basis, I can identify with that. I came late to Mustang Girl's life, having missed her toddler years, but just in time for the teenage ones. So far, so good, because I chant "don't yell, don't yell" to myself when I am upset with her, and trying to explain why. So far, so good. But we are barely into the teen years.... stay tuned.

Mama Robyn March 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

I loved reading your responses I too am an Irish redhead so I totally get that one. Thanks for sharing. My name is Robyn BTW. Do you live in CO or were you just visiting?

Anonymous,  March 5, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

I love how your safe place was the diary. :)

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP