Sunday, March 29, 2009

Speed of Light and Other Constants

First, I must apologize for the SNAFU with my 100th post; somehow, it's fitting, for me, to have such a dramatic 100th. Nothing I do is short in the drama department, I'm not exactly where this originates.. probably from my being very dramatic. Anyhoo, when I initially posted the Kevin Costner post, it was picked up by a couple fan sites that have major worldwide exposure and it quickly overwhelmed my sense of a 'private showing' to my loyal blog readers. Naive? Sure.

But the more important moment of clarity I experienced was the why. Why in the world was I prompted to post something I knew, deep down, would generate some attention? Even if I promised some readers, (so many posts back that there was no hope they'd remember) that I'd tell that story?

Because I'm an attention hound, always have been, and always working on counteracting this. I'm the youngest of three children, in fact..my siblings are seven and ten years my senior. Making me the doted-upon, attention-lavished, never taken seriously child that has always been viewed as "the baby" in my family.

Ever since I could remember, I would struggle to get a word in edgewise, in heated family dinner table debates (normally centered on physics, quantum mechanics, and other useless useful Laws of the Universe. I appreciate my Dad making us think. I really do, especially since he'd never give us the answer. He made you think.

If you're standing on the end of an accelerating train, and you have a flashlight, and there is someone out in space with another flashlight, shining the light towards you, and you both have a clock, and you look down and read the clock at the same time...

When I was mostly concerned with getting a boy to notice me, or keeping all my friends in middle school, I was hardly worried about what Einstein thought, or how he proved light as a constant. But that is what we talked about. Ideas. Theories. Everything is relative.
It's hard to get attention as the youngest in that mix.

Even now, as a 30-something adult, lavishing my own attention upon my firstborn, my beloved mini-masterpiece of a Toddler, I see him hamming it up for the crowd when we're out to lunch. Or showing off in Hola Baby spanish class. Or parading around with the drum in music class. I see the twinkle in his baby eye when he gets the teacher to notice him, flashes his toothy grin for the camera.

I was the star in the school's 2nd-grade play, Peter Pan, when I was too little to understand showmanship (or, was I?) The entire family went berserk with the idea that I was bound to be an actress after that performance. And maybe I've been playing that role ever since.

13 comments:

♥ Kathy March 29, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

Our grandson is very spoiled and every time he sees a camera he grins and poses....he's 8 months old! LOL

kel March 30, 2009 at 3:42 AM  

I'm new here! Love your blog!! Did I miss some drama? Dang it... I loves me some drama! Lol!

Anonymous,  March 30, 2009 at 4:00 AM  

That is intersting drama.

I think our dad's would have gotten along really well. My dad was actually intersting about what I was learning in school (even in college when I was knee deep in engineering equations). We spent hours talking about it.

Jeanne Estridge March 30, 2009 at 4:26 AM  

So you're saying, all I have to do is put "Kevin Costner" in the post title and I can suck in hundreds of new readers? (I'm the middle child in a family of 7 -- I also struggled for attention.)

buffalodick March 30, 2009 at 6:08 AM  

Your Dad and I would have had some great conversations! Physics intrigued me for most of my life, most problem solving begins with an understanding of this aspect of the Universe!

H.K. March 30, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

I would have done the same thing, that world wide exposure would be overwhelming.

I'm the oldest of six kids, so it was great to see your view point being the youngest. Now, I can understand why baby brother is the way he is. But, then again anyone who has as many brothers and sisters as I have would grab any attention they can get too!

septembermom March 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

My youngest likes to be star around here too! I think she feels like she has to speak up or we won't notice her. Good for you for trying to get attention. As I tell my kids, you have to make yourself known quickly to get anywhere in today's competitive world. By the way, I love reading about "your drama" in this blog! Always entertaining :)

Casey March 30, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

Meh, I think we're all in it for the attention, even a little bit. Otherwise, what's the point of blogging? We like the feedback and comments are like crack.

My kid beams from ear to ear when someone looks his way, he might need his own blog soon.

mielikki March 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

I am the youngest of 3 as well, and understand perfectly where you're coming from, here

Kat Mortensen March 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

In Psych class we referred to it as Histrionic. Ah well. We all have our personality foibles. I'm Anal/OCD and semi-addictive. So relax. You're in good company.

Kat

Kim March 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Love your deprecating humour. I also love that you refer to your toddler as a masterpiece...looked at my blog lately:-)

Deaglan is definitely doted on and adored around here. His first real word has been "cheese" which sounds like "chiz" and the teachers at the daycare asked me - do you take a lot of pictures of him? Well yes, daily but I've never asked him to say cheese.

Sprite's Keeper March 30, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

I was always the attention seeker in the house and while I love to wax poetic about all types of subjects, I especially love to ham it up in front of others. Sprite unfortunately is like me.

Anonymous,  March 30, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

I think by the time I got here that day the post had been pulled. So, can you sum up what the big controversy was over the post? I am so lost.

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP