Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spin on My Quirks

Quirks, not Quarks. We'll leave physics and math for another post.

You may not have noticed my being MIA from your comment fields (or maybe you have!) But I got sick. Then, taught my kid yoga class anyway, took a 2-hour nap, got a little better, went to a friends' going-away party/stayed out too late, fell a few rungs on the wellness ladder, napped, got better, went to brunch, fell some rungs, you get the pattern. Oh! Then my laptop decided to crash.

But I'm back to Spin on my own quirks, because I have so many. Not all of them are funny, so I'm warning you now. Check out the other quirky Spins while you're at it!

:: I once bought new underwear in college, because I ran out of clean and wasn't doing laundry often enough. I was traveling on the weekends for the college drinking ski team, and our apartment didn't have a washer/dryer. Worse, I went to a CVS/Pharmacy to buy them.. discovering that CVS does not, in fact, sell undies. Don't ever tell undergraduate friends this, if you try it. (I still hear about this.)

:: I must remove my shoes and put on my slippers immediately upon entering my house. Not everyone else's house, just mine. We bought a 1949 Cape Cod house with no basement, which means it's close to the cold ground, which means it's a little like walking on a giant, flat iceberg. Not one of the melting ones, though.

:: I stand on one leg when getting ready for bed. I don't always know that I do this. Often, my husband will come in, laugh, and make a comment about my being a flamingo, before I realize I'm doing it.

:: I can only whistle by sucking air in. The toddler loves it. No, I will not be posting a video of this. Also, just one tone.

:: When cleaning up play-doh, I separate the colors out and try to find the corresponding top. For those of you that have been away from toddlers for a while, this is IMPOSSIBLE.

:: I prefer to have the radio news on (NPR) when I'm cooking dinner/feeding my son. I have to. Often I talk back to what it's telling me. Part of the conversation.

:: If my son gets a puzzle out, then his toddler A.D.D. kicks in before he does said puzzle, I must stop everything and put the pieces back in. I cannot walk away. Let alone put it back on the shelf incomplete. What if we lost a piece?!

:: When eating pancakes, waffles or french toast, I spread the butter and add the syrup, then cut the entire entity into 1,000 tiny bites before taking a one. This is the only example of cuisine for which I fail to cut five pieces of an item, pause, pass fork from left/cutting to right/eating (authentic American style) and polish off before cutting the next five. Pancakes bring out the worst in my table manners, it would seem.

20 comments:

rae March 22, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

This is so cute! I'm guilty of several of these as well. The underwear one made me laugh out loud!

Anonymous,  March 23, 2009 at 4:11 AM  

I love the underwear confession.

I'm so thankful to have a washer and dryer in home these days.

Hope you're feeling better soon. At least your weekend sounds fun.

Anonymous,  March 23, 2009 at 4:33 AM  

I love your flamingo ritual. That's too funny that you often don't even notice it. I wonder where the heck that came from!

buffalodick March 23, 2009 at 5:34 AM  

Over the years in sales while traveling I've had to buy underwear on my lunch hour.. Trusted some farts I shouldn't have... :)

Sprite's Keeper March 23, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

Buffalodick's comment blew mine right out the mental window!
Wait, let me go back.
Yes, the whistling thing, me too!
Also, the incomplete puzzles. ARGH! I know Sprite gets a thrill for watching me complete it and then dumping it out again just to make me bonkers. I'm driving myself nuts trying to find all ten "cherries" from her Little Town playset. "It's not complete!" will be my battle cry when John has them cart me off to the ward. Too funny! You're linked!

Debbie March 23, 2009 at 5:53 AM  

Good mercy woman. Are we identical twins. I do that same one leg thing too. My husband calls me a flamingo.

septembermom March 23, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

Wow, we are alike in a couple of ways: whistle the same way, puzzle clean up and play doh top matching. I don't stand like one, but I do love flamingos :) Glad you're feeling better. Who knew that CVS carried undies too?

♥ Kathy March 23, 2009 at 7:51 AM  

ummm wasn't there a sink? lol cute list CDB :D

Kim March 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

Fun read! I'm the opposite of you. I have to take my socks off as soon as I get in the house. I project this need onto my poor boy too. I take off his socks once we're in the house. He usually giggles.

Anonymous,  March 23, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

I can't even whistle. Sigh.

Jeanne Estridge March 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

I was going to leave a comment like "Here at the intersection of OCD Avenue and Anal Lane, today we're interviewing..." until I read the other comments and realized how incredibly many people I'd be insulting. I'm bookmarking this, and the next time someone calls me anal, I'm giving them the link.

H.K. March 23, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

Your quirks had me laughing!

However, my husband caught me trying to whistle while sucking air in. He thought I had something caught in my throat.

Pseudo March 23, 2009 at 6:05 PM  

I love the flamingo visual. I had a friend that used to stand like that, and she never realized it either.

Jenners March 23, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

I hope you feel better soon.
This was such a fun post. The standing on one leg thing is SO FUNNY!
And I tried the Play-Doh separation thing but realized it is IMPOSSIBLE. And I can't even whistle.

Casey March 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

You're not so weird (maybe the flamingo thing was a bit odd). I'm glad you're feeling better, that nap sounds good.

I do the waffle and puzzle things. So I guess I'm quirky too?

Camille March 23, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

I do the slipper thing, but none of the others.

*Just Jen* March 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

I'm the same way with my slippers. They stay by the door. While I am home, they are on my feet! lol Happy TT!

Anonymous,  March 25, 2009 at 7:43 AM  

Cute stuff!!!!

Laufa March 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

Completely understand the playdoh and underwear. Glad I'm not the only quirky one. Great Spin!

Rachel March 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM  

I totally relate to the puzzle quirk. Totally. It drives me crazy. Do you by any chance label the backs of all the pieces of a new puzzle before you let your child play with it? Or is that just me?

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP