Thursday, May 7, 2009

Writer's Workshop: Overachieving and Believing

I feel, in my job as a blogger, that I must entertain every once in a while. So this week, I'll put on my circus-poodle hat and answer MOST of MamaKat's prompts. Which are:
2.) Do you want a baby?
3.) Who got in big trouble this week?
4.) Write a poem for your mother.


2) I do want another baby. I should, right? (: Considering my eating habits as late? Though our little tri-family equilibrium is nicely in balance, I must say. It would make sense, after all, and that makes for a nice explanation as I polish off my third helping of esoteric pasta/ground beef mixture, washed down with my second helping of pomegranate tea (yes, that's right. Today, I purchased, on two separate occasions, tea with pomegranate juice.) But why I was craving it? Let's add it to the list.

3) I got in big trouble this week. Because of my short (and ill) temper. Let's Blame It On the Rain (that keeps fallin', fallin'.) Everything my toddler and husband did was just over the edge for me, and I communicated that effectively. Especially when Toddler bolted out of the kid's room in the Library this morning during toddler story time. The ingrate.

4) Ode To Me Mum

It's not fair, how we glare, what would we think
In twenty years' hence
Looking back at ourselves, our emotions and elves
Knowing we wouldn't trade for a sixpence?

The glint in the eye, from the kiddo with ire
As he zooms from the room with gloom
N'er the defeated, I give chase, uncleated
And continue my glare with more Vroom.

Fast forward through time, I see how, I see why
The unrelenting love of a mother
It's not possible to understand, nor be warned, nor canned,
What I do can't be done by another.

So on this Mother's Day, my dear Mom, my hero
Understand that it took me three zeros
And as many decades to get it once and for blind:
There is no greater love,
There is no greater love,
There is no greater love than our kind.

(Yes. I'm sending this to her now.)

17 comments:

septembermom May 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

Really beautiful poem to your mom! Love the last line. By the way, I have those weeks where everything my hubby and kids do seem to set me off too!

mielikki May 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

the rain got to me as well. We have sun today, and I am not so sure what to do with it....
Lovely Ode to your Mum...
my word verification is "woocha". Say it with me...
woocha. Sounds cool...

monica May 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

Beautiful peom for your mom. She is lucky to have such a great daughter.

Beth May 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM  

Oh Colleen!! That poem was beautiful! It made me cry! (Granted, I am PMSing hard, but still...) Do you mind if I share it w/ my Mom?
By the way, I never got a chance to tell you Congratulations. I've known (offline) for a while now, but haven't had a chance to tell you. So happy for you & the fam. I think you are so brave!

Kitten May 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

Beautiful poem...the last stanza got me choked up!

Debbie May 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

I get some crazy cravings too. And this was a great poem.

Unknown May 7, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Goosebumps! That was a lovely poem. You are a beautiful writer and I'm so glad I've found you from Mama Kat's!

Anonymous,  May 8, 2009 at 3:51 AM  

Great poem.

Happy Mother's Day to you.

All that talk about eating has made me hungary.

Unknown May 8, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

Hi, it's Megan from girlmeetscamera. Thanks for finding my blog and entering the giveaway! I shoot with a Nikon D80 and a handful of lenses. The ones I use most often are the 35mm F2 (used on the flower shots) and the 18-200mm VR. I would love to learn more about film but I like to be able to take 1000 bad pictures without wasting LOL I have an old Canon film camera and no clue how to use it :P

Sometimes Sophia May 8, 2009 at 5:21 AM  

Loved the poem. Your mom will be thrilled... and you should be proud of yourself as well.

Age and experience does moderate perspective. It only took 50 years for my mother to realize she has something in common with me. Late is better than never. ;)

Happy Mother's Day!!

buffalodick May 8, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

Doing stuff like that means a lot to parents.. To all, say these things before they are gone from this Earth, you'll be glad you did..

Sprite's Keeper May 8, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Love the poem! It flows nicely. Your mom must be tickled!

H.K. May 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

Thanks for the entertainment, you had me laughing out loud with your answer to the first few prompts!

You have got MAD poetry skills, I loved it!!!!

Casey May 8, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

Beautiful poem. So are you out of the closet? If not, get the hell out here.

Jeanne Estridge May 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

Have a great Mother's Day!

Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy May 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Awesome poem! I hope you are pregnant so I can live vicariously through you. Is that selfish? I mean, I also want you to be so you'll be happy too. Really.

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP