Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lost and Found on U Street

I've talked a little bit about my volunteer work on here. I've spoken a fair amount about my latest habits of pregnancy (getting sick) and having a new house to close on soon and another to list (getting committed.) Well, I've failed to talk about the most important theme going on of all: pregnancy confusion.

I had an end-of-year party last night in downtown D.C. for my outgoing committee in my major service organization that I often reference. It was a fun way to close out a great year, I've made good friends on this Committee that I won't get to see as often next year, so I made the effort to get my butt down to the U Street corridor and make myself seen. Via the scene.

And what a scene! Going out in D.C. is much fun; it's a shame bars aren't more kid-friendly.

So, I caught up and I munched on the leftover mushroom ragout/toast points while everyone else ignored them. I drank cranberry and club soda so nobody would guess I was non-alcoholic, but then they just pointed at my belly and called me out on it anyway.

But then it was time to leave. I had to go, as difficult as it was to check back into motherhood, out of the D.C. singles', doubles' and really cool rooftop bar scene. So, I went.

I walked down U Street for a pleasant 10 minutes. Wandering through the cool early-summer air, I was struck by how good it felt to walk. And after my initial stroll pace, I decided I was ready to be feet-up again and upgraded to a full-fledged charge. When it seemed like I had walked for an hour and many blocks, I looked up and the bars and clubs were thinning out.. I was nearly to 10th street. Where the hell was my car? I did have a car, right?

I hadn't parked this far.. had I?!

I must have. I did the only thing I could think of to do without seeming totally lost to the lines of folks waiting to get into Hot Club A and Hot Club B: I called my husband.

"So.... you can't find the car. And you're calling.. me?"
This is actually what he said.
We re-traced my steps. I literally. He listened empathetically, from the couch and PTI. I turned around and walked back from whence I'd come. I think I walked exactly halfway back to my starting point, every block frustrating me more. What in the world was wrong with my brain?

Oh, right. I'm thinking for two here.

I did find it. I did get in. And it started. And I drove home, giving myself a little tour of the Nation's Capital by night as I drove.

Tell me this doesn't get worse.

10 comments:

Jenners May 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

Oh Lordy!!! I can only imagine that it must have been a bit scary and all ... but it sure makes for a good story!

buffalodick May 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

I remember once my wife called me when I was 100 miles away from home to tell me she had a flat tire.. I told her her luck would get better if she called road service instead of me...

Casey May 28, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

Ha! Well if it makes you feel better, I'm not pregnant and I lose my car all the time. I'm glad your husband was able to talk you through the crisis.

Debbie May 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

I think you were very smart to call him. Just talking things through like that always calms me down.

septembermom May 29, 2009 at 4:30 AM  

So glad that hubby could help you out. I would have freaked out at first.

Keely May 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

Ah, pregnesia. My fave. I don't think it goes away, it just turns into "MOMnesia". Seriously, my memory used to be razor-sharp and now I'm lucky if I remember things long enough to write them down.

david mcmahon May 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM  

Good luck with the pregnancy. I came here from Kim.

I am a father of three and my children are, simply my universe.

Kim May 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

First of all it sounds like you are a fun person - i know lots of preggos who feel too sorry for themselves to go out with non-preggo friends.

Been there with losing the car and even called the police once (was visiting my sister in Detroit and we were at the mall getting pedicures). The police were finally able to help us 'locate' our vehicle. We forgot that we parked behind Target not Marshall's. Neither of us was pregnant at the time!

Carrie June 1, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

Um, I did something similar to this EVERY WEEK at the airport when I parked my car. EVERY WEEK. Talk about feeling like a moron...

Jeanne Estridge June 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

I lost my car at the Mall of America once -- I couldn't even remember whether I left it on the Tennessee level or the New York level. I think that's roughly equivalent to walking 20 blocks, but I wasn't pregnant and it wasn't particularly dangerous (other than the financial risk of getting sucked back into the Mall).

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP