Thursday, July 16, 2009

State of Blogging

When I started blogging, like everyone else, I stalked my email to read each and every comment the moment it came in. I counted comments like a dieter counts calories.. they meant everything to me. Every time I gained a Follower (oops, now inextricably called "Members".. more on this opinion later,) I sat atop of the Blogging World.

Boy, was I drinking the Blogging Kool-Aid.

Well, a few things have happened since then. Life has gotten busy and my blog has taken a hit as a result. Translation: I lost a follower. Er, a member. My membership declined this week. And I didn't expect it to, but you know what? It bothers me.

I've also held off posting certain needy emotional posts while at my most pregnancy-infused hormonal. Enough holding back.

When I wrote and posted Pacing the Cage last week, the supportive comments (and emails from those of you that have the chore joy of knowing me in real life), and of course the comments from all my Facebook friends who lazily read my blog on FB instead of coming to taste the "real thing", were exactly what I needed.

They were the chords of Hope, Joy, Love and "I'm Here" sung to me from all parts of my life. The elixir of friendship, of compassion, of empathy. Of therapy.

In a word? My blog, and by extension all of you, became my saving grace.

So I'm here to say that I'm back. I'm going to crawl out of this deep well of blogging slump that I've found myself in. One rock (post) at a time. Can you tell that we just checked out "The Frog in the Well" from the Library today?

Oh, and Thanks.

14 comments:

Kitten July 16, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

I was in a blogging slump not too long ago. It can take a while to come out. Know that I'm here for you! E-mail me off-blog if you want to chat: thebookkitten@gmail.com.

Tiffany July 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

popped in from SITS, I've also experienced the blogging blahs, and sometimes it just happens. : )

mielikki July 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

we all have slumps, I think, and having a wee thing drain all your energy makes it even tougher.
Blog away!

Anonymous,  July 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

I lost two followers this week if it makes you feel any better. I've decided not to care/worry about it. Either you like me or you don't - works for me either way.

Welcome back to the bloggy world. It really does hellp keep me sane.

septembermom July 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Always glad to read your posts and share our thoughts this way! Hugs.

buffalodick July 17, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

I've been blogging (over 400 posts now!)for a while, and readers will come and go.. Sometimes my writing subject(mainly food!) attracts a reader, and sometimes they lose interest in what I write- or Blogging in general! My only tracking mechanism in place is if they comment on my post... Kind of a "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy, but it works for me.. I don't "do" Facebook, or Twitter- having and maintaining one blog is all the work I want!

Debbie July 17, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

I'm still here! And I think we've all been a little slow and behind this summer. I know I have been.

Carrie July 17, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

Just a note to say I miss you and I love reading your blog. You say the things I want to say and it makes me happy to know I'm not alone in my wacky opinions. Hang in there kiddo - #2 took me for an emotional ride, so I know exactly how you're feeling. And we do need our phone date soon!

Dumb Mom July 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Happens to me sometimes and then I go crazy trying to figure out who it was (which is virtually impossible b/c my small brain can't possibly recall the name of every follower) so I can find them and beg to know what I did wrong. Agonizing. Anyway, wanted to say thanks for yesterday's blog love. SITS is awesome:)

H.K. July 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

I'm exactly where you're at right now! I've been in a blogging slump the past month because this summer is crazy & I've definitely lost some readers, but it actually doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Okay, I lied it did bother me at first, but I have to remind myself when you lose some readers, you'll get two fold the amount you lost...at least that's what I tell myself!

Jeanne Estridge July 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

I, too, lost a member/follower last week, just after I posed the libretto for "Blogging, The Musical."

Apparently some people out there still have standards.

Casey July 20, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

Well welcome back! Isn't it sad how we get so wrapped up in our followers and our comments? I'm the same way but I've had to ease off of it since it was driving me nuts. Hope all is well on your end!

Sprite's Keeper July 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

I'm in a slump right now, but mostly due to impending deadlines and things that HAVE TO BE DONE before I leave for Chicago on Thursday. Every time I eek out a few minutes to write, I'm all "what about this?".
But, you have bigger things to distract you. Wish I was in your boat! :-)

Unknown July 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

You just added a reader... so you are back to even! Or on top! Great photo on your homepage. ps - I have never followed a blog. I hope it comes to my email or something so I can keep up. T

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP