Tuesday, July 21, 2009

RTT: It's Tuesday! (Is It Only Tuesday?)

It just feels like more week has passed than that. I guess that means we have lives.

They say that when you have kids, life is never ever (ever) the same. I would surmise most new parents fight off this inevitable truth, but in our case, I would absolutely confirm it. Yesterday, I realized it's just not worth fighting. And we can all agree on how stupendously wonderful and worth it parenting is, but yes. We hand over the keys to our lives and our child promptly begins teething on them. Then hiding them. Then tossing them into drain covers. Then using them to drive the car.

Take yesterday, for example. I had three very in-depth, very detailed, very lengthy conversations about potty training with three people from very different aspects of my life: one near stranger, one new friend, and my husband. The conversations were essentially around the same theme: "Potty training is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." Our lives really are not our own.

Have you ever seen that bumper sticker, "Commit Random Acts of Kindness?" What a Disaster if the K was rubbed off, and a passerby interpreted this as "Commit Random Acts of Blindness", walking out into oncoming traffic.

My husband and I got into a debate last night at dinner over what year the Challenger disaster happened. I was referencing the event as "the event" that my generation remembers from their childhood, like the Kennedy assassination for our parents. Where we were sitting. Whom was around us at the time. What we thought about it. Just thinking for a moment.. do you remember what year the terrible Challenger tragedy happened? I'll give you the answer at the end of the post.

Every morning for the past week, I've been waking up with a different random song in my head, some for no obvious reason. Yesterday was "Don't Speak", and I blame credit Keely with her No Doubt references.. check her out today at Un-Mom.

So, the answer. What was your guess? Was it January 28, 1986? Then you're right.
I guessed 1984, having pictured the classroom I was sitting in at the time.

7 comments:

septembermom July 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

I couldn't remember the Challenger date. My memory is not like it used to be :) Potty advice is best taken in small doses. I remember getting way too much advice and starting to overload. I even would get to the point of saying, "Oh, yeah, he's doing it. Thanks anyway." Too many voices in my head when me and the little guy were having our potty negotiations :)

mielikki July 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

I was close, I had guessed 1987, but then again high school was all a blur of fun with the occasional bout of homework for me....

Pollyanna July 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

I remember the Challenger disaster very clearly. It was the day after my birthday and I was in sixth grade. Ask me many other history questions and I'm clueless.

No kidding on that potty training thing. My three-year-old doesn't sleep with the comforter on her bed because I got tired of washing it. For awhile, I was leaving it off and all seemed to be going well overnight. As soon as I put it back on, she'd have an accident. The comforter hasn't been on her bed since Christmas.

Keely July 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

I don't remember hearing much about the Challenger thing when it happened, but I *do* remember some classmates doing a spoof skit about it, so I would have guessed 1986 as well.

I haven't really gotten to the potty training yet. I keep saying I will, but....lazy.

Anonymous,  July 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM  

I agree that parenting changes your life. But I think really kids just remind you that you never really had as much control as you thought to begin with.

Excellent random Tuesday.

Casey July 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

It's very cool that you have your own soundtrack every morning when you wake up! I was in 2nd grade when the Challenger blew up. We watched it on TV and then went outside to watch it live (since we're in FL, we can see the shuttles launch on a clear day). Then we all ran inside to see what had happened and the teachers were all crying.

jen July 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

not sure on the challenger date ... but i do agree that it's the "where were you when?" question of our time.
potty training. argh. my girls trained themselves. between the ages of 1 and 2. believe me ... it's always hard. (one - two year olds can't hold it well ... and ALWAYS have to pee). always.
songs in your head ... probably just another symptom of pregnancy. i find that i can blame ANYTHING on pregnancy. try it.

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP