Tuesday, July 28, 2009

RTT: Ruptured Toes and Tumbling

Yes, I broke my left pinkie toe on Sunday. How random is that?! I actually did it just so I'd have something to post about for Random Tuesday thoughts. Um, no.

Let's recap a little. I'm pregnant. 25 weeks or so (I think? Who keeps track of these things,) which means my belly is OUT THERE. I have a two-year old toddler boy. Who likes to run away in the opposite direction, especially towards oncoming traffic.

We are leaving on our summer vacation on Friday.

So yes, this really could not be better timing, with the broken toe and all. I'll share a funny story about taking myself to the doctor for it on Monday, which all of you busy Moms (and everyone) can relate to.. since when we become adults, there just is not enough time to take ourselves to the doctor. And then we'll move on.
Primary Care Physician: "So, how did you do this?"
Me: "Welllll, I'm teaching this tumbling class to preschoolers on Sundays... and... "
PCP: "I see. Does this hurt? Yes? Okay, it's broken."
Me: [Under my breath swear word. Toddler is present. Taking the air vent out of the floor. Putting it back.]
PCP: "Since we don't cast for toes, no point in doing an x-ray. What you do, is just take an ice cream cone..."
Me: "Ice Cream Cone?" (She's Iranian. I know what she means, but want her to work for this co-pay today.)
PCP: "Yes, you take the thing, the stick, and put it behind.. then wrap the toes with the medical tape.. "
Me: "Do you have any of the medical tape here, we could wrap it now?"
PCP: [Laughing] "Oh, no. We aren't orthopedic surgeons." Silly patient.
Me: "Aha. So I get some medical tape and wrap the two toes? Anything for the pain?"
PCP: "Ah yes. You may take the aspirin."
Me: "Um, isn't it .. the Tylenol, I take, now that I'm close to the third trimester?"
PCP: "Right. Tylenol. NOT ibuprofen. In case you delivered today, you wouldn't stop bleeding."

Hm. I'm pretty sure there is a very rare but serious condition involving a hole in the fetal heart that will prematurely close if a pregnant Mom takes Ibuprofen, but I say nothing. Who am I?

In other random news, Jillian chose Ed. ED? Jillian, really? Ed, the cheese-face that wears tight green shorts from a 70s basketball team? Aarrrgh.

In other random news, did you all know that 'pinky' toe is actually spelled 'pinkie'? Fascinating.

Go see Keely for more actual randomness. My toe hurts too much to generate more randomness.

16 comments:

mielikki July 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

OUCH!
did you really splint your toes with a popcicle stick, though? I think you can just tape it to the toe next to it to hold it straight, right?

Unknown July 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

oh my sorry bout the toe i know it is painful broke mine about a yr ago...
I think i would be looking for a new PCP...

I will only watch LOST on ABC from here on out...they did me in last night with the whole show the bach/ette

enjoyed your RTT

Casey July 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM  

I have a really hard time accepting that it's pinkie and not pinky. Hope your toe feels better, youch. Dump your stupid doctor.

septembermom July 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

Sorry about your toe. Hope the pain gets better soon. I give you props for not going all "hormonal" on the PCP. I don't know if I would have been as polite as you during that doctor visit. Take care and hugs!

Keely July 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

omg OW. I've broken my pinkie toe - it was friggin' awful and I wasn't even pregnant.

And what is it about toddlers and TRAFFIC? GAH!

Unknown July 29, 2009 at 5:35 AM  

Sorry about your toe! Congratulations on the baby btw! Hang on in there :-) Have you picked a name for baby yet? (http://www.bounty.com/babynames/ is great to search for names!) Fingers and toes crossed for you - hope you are doing well x

Anonymous,  July 29, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

Oh yuck - hope it heals quickly!

Carrie July 29, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Ed was a douche.

Unknown July 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Oh, I am so sorry.. broken toes are a b*tch! Dr's are so mean about them too. I hope it doesn't cause too much pain on your vacation!

Grammyof13 July 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

I am sympathizing the whole way. My experience was with a Dr. from India - she could hardly speak English, and at that in this baby voice that grinds my nerves each time I am around her. Evidently she thought I was the one with a problem of hearing - uh no!

So sorry about your toe, and congrats on your pregnancy. Somehow I've missed that bit of info.

Hope it doesn't hinder your vacation. Blessings.

Jeanne Estridge July 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Owwww! Hope it feels better soon (like, before vacation starts).

Sprite's Keeper August 2, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

My sister used to stub her toes into furniture and then get mad at the furniture for being in her way and proceed to kick the furniture HARD, which would break her toes. Silly child. When you battle wood, wood WINS. She broke her toes a lot when she was a kid. (Just thinking back on that is making me giggle!)
25 weeks! Getting close!

♥ Kathy August 3, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

lol you gotta love those foreign doctors :p

buffalodick August 4, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

My dad broke his little toe once, frog-marching my sister and I away from the dinner table, after yet another milk glass spilled... He hooked his toe on the stove, and we all got to do the bunny hop, as he had us gripped firmly...Really funny shit, but you had to be there...

buffalodick August 7, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Had to laugh... My Dad(imagine Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden)broke his little toe, while frog-marching my sister and I away from the dinner table, after we both knocked over our milk within one minute of each other.. He hooked his toe on our stove, and visualize a guy, with one kid in each hand, hopping and screaming like he was gonna die. My sis and I still laugh about it until this day!
For your self esteem- I think gals expecting are beautiful, even though they sometimes don't feel like it...

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP