Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday Yogis

So I teach this yoga class to seniors, every Monday morning, while my 18-mo old is at preschool. It started as a community service gig, and has transcended itself (and me) into something much more personal, more compassionate, and more important. Each week I find myself caring a little more about each of the individual seniors, ranging probably from 60 to 80 years old, each from a varied Asian or Southeast Asian country. Not one can understand me. But there I am, each week, talking my way through the poses and sequences. Worrying about someone fainting.

The first week, I bent down to scratch my ankle, and the class followed.

Today, for a special treat, after I'd taught, I got a round of hugs from the ladies. They wished me happy holidays, happy new year, and a happy toddler throughout. That felt really great.

It made me realize, suddenly, that that might be the way for all of us to "brave" our families through the holidays. Call it spreading a little Zen around. For a lot of my friends, it's the in-laws that set them over the edge.. for me, it's a little closer to home. It's in the genes. Civility and listening just weren't in the DNA.

Hilarious in-law stories are heading my way, certainly, from various parties when the holidays blur into the New Year, and I so look forward to those.. but in the meantime, I'll be thinking of all of them as we dive into the season.. arms first.

3 comments:

Brooke December 22, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

I agree with you that a little zen will go a long way this holiday season. Hopefully not too many of those in-law stories will be from me! :)

Anonymous,  December 23, 2008 at 4:46 AM  

I'm trying to achieve Zen with the in laws. Deep breaths help. I'm doing my best to remember that it is only a week. (For the record my mom drives me at least as crazy as the in laws - I just don't see her as much).

Happy Holidays ladies!!

Anonymous,  December 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

Great blog! --Shelley

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP