Monday, June 29, 2009

RTT? Potty Mouth

I have something random for ya. We are deeply in the throes of potty training at our house. Rock the House.

I had such a dearth of good, interesting, funny stories on my blog last week, that I plan to more than make up for it this week. If you've never had a child, or your potty training was seamless and easy, you may want to skip this post. I just can't relate.

On Saturday morning, I heard my newly-turned two year old alternating between crying, and talking to himself. Gentle crying, then yammer yammer to (conceivably) his various animals and blankets that accompany him in his crib nightly. It was early, I still had sleep in my eyes, but I was intrigued. He doesn't normally alternate crying with jabbering.

I opened the door, and subtly contained my shock, disgust and dismay as I found my toddler, buck naked in his crib, holding on to one of his poops.

That's right. Holding on to it, as if he just wasn't ready to let that one go.. yet.

I quelled my guttural reactions (puking, acting nauseated), and whisked him to the toilet next door, explaining where it is we go poop. I then scrubbed his hands for about an hour several minutes, while my bleary-eyed husband stumbled in, still half-asleep, asking what was going on. I actually didn't have to say anything. The naked hand washing gave it away!

We started officially potty training last week, at the encouragement of our pediatrician, who told me that 1) because our toddler is interested, 2) because it's warm and summery, finally, and 3) I'm not due until November, now is the time.

We've had a few other acrimonious accidents. He peed on the ottoman. He peed on his brand new MegaBloks tractor. He pooped on his toddler chair. Okay, so they aren't that funny. But he is getting it. He understands the need to go, just can't always make it to the proper spot to do it.

Hey, that's happened to the best of drunk college students. Just.. can't.. quite.. make it to the toliet.

So, if you are easily grossed out, pass out at the sight of words referencing defecation, you might pass on my blog this week. Otherwise, all help and advice, book recommendations, and sedative prescriptions are welcomed! Let 'em rip!

C'mon.. give us your best potty training story ever. Dare ya!

And go see Keely for better random number generation. She's better at it.

9 comments:

Anonymous,  June 30, 2009 at 3:48 AM  

Good luck!

J is interested in the idea, but not the actual act. We're all talk and no action in this house.

septembermom June 30, 2009 at 4:24 AM  

Isn't potty training always an "adventure"? It's my probably my least favorite parenting activity. I wish you tons of luck. He'll get it in the "right place" before you know it. I can still remember my boys making "that face" standing behind a chair as they forgot to run to the potty. I would scoot them as fast as I could to the potty. We were usually too late.

Kitten June 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM  

My sister's best friend has a son who's just a few months younger than yours. Since he was a couple of months old, she's been holding Ben over the toilet whenever he needs to poo. She read somewhere that it gets babies used to using the toilet faster. I'm not so sure about that one...then again, I don't have any kids!

Jenners June 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

Oh Man...I feel for you. Here is my best advice.

1. When we first started with my son, we found this cool urinal for kids called Peter Potty (I think). It was kind of stand-alone thing that you filled with water and he could flush. He liked it and got it right away because the regular toilet was too high for him. Plus he thought it was fun.

2. My son was scared he would be flushed down the toilet. IT took me forever to realize this as he didn't totally articulate it. We solved the pooping problem once we figured it out and my husband (no joke) built him a "holding on thing" out of PVC pipe.

3. You will go back and forth a lot and interest may end on his part and you need to let them go at their own pace. Once they decide to do it and have the skills, they will do it.

And be patient. I'll hold off on telling you about the other side of potty training -- there are its own issues too!

Good luck.

Liz Mays June 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

I guess as long as you're fairly relaxed about it and he doesn't catch wind of the fact it's the one thing he has control over and you can't do a thing about it....he'll get with the program pretty soon here.

Casey June 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Wow, you put my poop in the tub story to shame. Yuck. We're at a stand still with the potty training.

Unknown July 2, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

I once found a huge, dried up solidified turd in my son's laundry hamper that he was trying to hide- when I was looking for the source of that horrible smell that had been in his room for a week.... I guess he was afraid he would get in trouble. Our potty training experience was pretty easy, with the exception of that story!

Good luck with potty training your little one!

Keely July 2, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

Yeah, I'm trying to jump that hurdle this summer too. So far my efforts consist of letting X run around naked a lot. I'm sure he'll get the idea soon, right?

Debbie July 3, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Now that is one phase I am glad I am past!

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP