Tuesday, June 23, 2009

RTT: Remembering, Tragedy, and Toddlers

I'm late, but at least I'm here. I miss Keely and her Random gang over at Un-Mom, so I'm joining in today. Go see her here.

Please send your prayers out to those who were killed, injured, or lost a loved one in yesterday's Metro rail crash in Washington, DC. The Washington Post's headlines indicate the crash was "not supposed to happen" and is the "worst in Metro's 33-year history". There are many tales of heroics and good Samaritans helping their fellow man, but sadly, there are also devastating tales of those who were not able to go home yesterday. Loved ones who waited, unable to find out information. Waiting for those who boarded the train as he/she always did, day after day.

It is often in times of tragic random circumstance that one identifies with the victim's families, thinking, "what if my husband was riding that particular Metro that day?" You feel a little more lucky, perhaps, that you can live on to continue another day.

It's difficult to imagine what those family members are actually going through, but my heart, my thoughts, my mind and prayers are with them.

It's difficult also, to try to randomly include a light-hearted story in light of yesterday's very sad news. However, I will share just one:

My toddler and I were playing in his room yesterday morning. He left suddenly, I heard him toddle out to the kitchen, and I turned to put some things away. When he returned, he was beaming and said what sounded like:
"Go kitchen! Fill wawa up to tup? Wawa into tup? Kitchen!"

He pulled me, by the hand, into the kitchen and there, in the middle of the kitchen floor, was a sippy cup, no top, filled to the brim with cold water.

He'd opened the fridge and filled it with the Pur water filter.

Lil' water-maniac, that one.

12 comments:

Casey June 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

That Metro crash is just terrible.

We've got a water freak here too but thankfully he can't reach the pitcher in the fridge (our freezer is on the bottom) or we'd be mopping up a lot of messes.

Kim June 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

But so darn cute!!

What a terrible tragedy in DC. I can't imagine if my loved one was on that train. We do have to stop and think about those affected!

Anonymous,  June 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

Isn't the crash scary. It's surreal when something like that happends so close to home.

Excellent work by the little man. I'm very impressed with his skills (like opening gates and doors).

mielikki June 23, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

heart breaking over the tragic metro accident. I canot begin to imagine.

I love it when the little ones start to exert their independence. Good that he filled the cup without filling your kitchen....

septembermom June 23, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

Horrible tragedy for all those victims and families. I can't imagine what their grief must be like.

Cute story about your little guy's water fun. Water games will keep my daughter busy for hours.

Sprite's Keeper June 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

I'm so saddened by the Metro crash.
Now, did he spill any of the water or was it a perfect pour?

Sometimes Sophia June 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

Very sad. So sorry for the families.

Water boy? Clever. It's better than playing with fire... ;)

Jeanne Estridge June 23, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

Do headlines bother you more when you're pregnant? The crash is truly tragic, and I grieve for the people affected.

I do remember, though, reading the paper when I was pregnant with Anne and just weeping over what I'd find there....

Keely June 23, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

Aw, my kid is water-obsessed too. I have to dangle him over the sink so he can play with the running tap at least twice a day.

Very sad about the crash :( It's probably selfish but I don't read much news, even local, because I can't help but identify with some of the tragedies.

Kitten June 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

I was in DC about a year ago, and I rode the Metro constantly during my stay. It really gives me pause to think, "Dear God, I was on that very line..." Scary.

Debbie June 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

At least water is relatively easy to clean up!

Sabrina June 29, 2009 at 7:03 AM  

Things like that just break your heart. All those people will wake up with heavy hearts...I will pray for them...

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP