Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Leaving... On a (Ground) Plane

Right, just a car.

I'm only writing once this week, as we are departing for an illustrious and exciting weekend of kid-free wedding fun! So you have to sit through a long post, like my long car ride. Tomorrow, we leave. We're dropping the adorable but often demonic cherub off at Grandma's house and then skipping on to Charlotte, NC, where we spent the early years of our marriage.

Ah, the early years.. no sippy cups falling out of the cabinet when you open it. No diapers stuffed into my Coach bag. No peeling a melted-down toddler off the CVS floor.

Back when going "out" meant to the bars, not dashing out for dinner while the babysitter watched TV for two hours as our son slept. Going shopping meant for ME, with the girls, where I could try on the black leather pants from Banana Republic for an hour without gentle (then increasingly demanding) moans from the stroller. Going to the grocery story meant walking across the street, buying a few items that usually included wine or beer, mixes, or possibly all three, and then going and imbibing them.

It never included my toddler reaching over and grabbing a Kix box on the cereal aisle and opening it himself while my head was turned.

And last but not least.. when we were really feeling like hermits, or just plain lazy, we might catch a last-minute summer blockbuster. You know, on a whim.

Needless to say (or did I say it?), I'm greatly looking forward to this trip. I need a break from my toddler and he needs the intensity of Grandma Can't-Get-Enough-Of-Him Love for three days. Ironically, I'll miss the heck out of him. You can have too much of a good thing. And I have a good thing nearly 24 hours a day, almost 7 days a week.

So, while wallowing in my own (ridiculousness), I'll leave you with an interesting read. I'm sure a lot of you heard on the news that there's a homeless man in D.C. that is blogging.. and tweeting, facebooking, about the homeless condition.

I may talk a lot about feeling sorry in my current (bloated, tired, sick, isolated and whale-like) condition, but this stopped me in my tracks. He really has something to blog about.

Check him out here.

See you next week!

10 comments:

Stephanie June 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Enjoy the trip. Right now I couldn't imagine leaving my little one, but I am sure I will get to a point where it will be heaven to get a weekend.

Anonymous,  June 10, 2009 at 4:16 AM  

Have a great trip!

I'm jealous. We still haven't had a night away since J was born.

Casey June 10, 2009 at 4:17 AM  

You made me want to hop on a plane and join you, I'm jealous for your weekend away! Have fun and try not to miss the kid too much.

septembermom June 10, 2009 at 4:36 AM  

Enjoy your trip! It will be great, I'm sure. Your little guy will have a blast with his grandma. Thanks for the link about the homeless blogger. I'm sure it is interesting. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Sometimes Sophia June 10, 2009 at 5:43 AM  

Relish every minute of your kid-free adventure!! Really... have a great time!

Kim June 10, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

Hope you have a wonderful time...too bad about the not being able to have a coupla drinks part:(

I do remember those pre-baby days too...sleeping in, lazing around on the couch on Sundays and yes shopping without rushing. But like you I wouldn't trade it for the world!

H.K. June 10, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

Have a fun filled baby free trip! I'm sure you'll miss your son, but you need this trip before the next baby comes! Have a relaxing time and sleeping in!

Ann Imig June 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

Have a WONDERFUL time. Even the car ride will be a luxury...the silence and opportunity for (gasp) con-ver-sation.

And leather pants?

You little vixen ;)

Jeanne Estridge June 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

I'm keeping Phinn and Harper over night for the first time this weekend, and planning on dishing out some of that can't-get-enough Grandma love. Your son will have a blast, and it will be good for you to have a break.

Enjoy!

Unknown June 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

Little late, I know, but I hope you enjoyed your trip!

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP