Thursday, June 4, 2009

Writer's Workshop: Finally, I Said It

1.) If you could cut back on something in your life that takes up your time what would it be? And what would you prefer to spend that time doing?

I would stop feeling sorry for myself. There, I said it. That is what I need to spend LESS of my time doing.

I've been a blogging slacker lately, and my only semblance of an excuse has been this insanity with housing searching, contract signing, and subsequent voiding. That's over now. Now we're refocusing our energies. On what, you may want to know.. and so do we. That will be the subject of many blog posts to come.

Or, are we? I've realized lately that I spend way too much time feeling sorry for "having" to stay at home all the time. Are you kidding me?

My Mom was just here for a quick two-day visit again. My parents spend the summers in the Finger Lakes of upstate NY, and live in North Carolina most of the year. So, a few times during the summer, we are treated to "You are smack dab in the very center of both of those places and it's a really, really great break to stop and go the bathroom. Oh and see our adorable grandson who loves us to pieces"-stopovers. You know what? I'll take those stopovers.

Anyway, she doted. She played. She gave him kisses and hugs and pick-ups and so much love&energy that I've just run out of lately. It was fabulous for my son; it was more fabulous for me. But then, she had to leave.

And in her wake, I've realized that we don't know what turns life will take. We don't know what's ahead, or, unfortunately, if it's good or bad. But we can choose whether we smile or frown and to make ourselves happy.

In short, we can choose to enjoy our charmed lives, even if they don't seem so at times.

13 comments:

Kekibird June 4, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Big hugs! I completely understand how it feel to lack the energy you feel you should be giving your family. It's tough but you are right. We gotta stop feeling sorry for ourselves and look at all our little blessings.

It's tough to do but that time spent looking at the positives can make the tough stuff easier!

Happy Thursday and thanks for sharing.

Sprite's Keeper June 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

Amen for those perfection checks! I had mine too until my mom had to go back home. Now it's me against the toddler and she won last night's battle.

Unknown June 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Such a great post. I have been feeling exactly the same way lately. Mopey and selfish... Great reminder! Aren't Mom's the best?

Anonymous,  June 4, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

Excellent post.

We all have blue periods I think.

And it's really easy to feel sorry for yourself when you spend a lot of time feeling sick. It would bring anybody down.

septembermom June 4, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

I have plenty of down moments. It can be a draining day physically and emotionally being at home with kids. I like your advice about pushing those blues away with a smile. All we really have is the here and now. When all the kids are screaming, it will probably be a difficult task :)

mielikki June 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

I could not have said it better! But we are all human, with our frailties.
fantastic post

Casey June 4, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

Don't worry, I've been having a pity party lately too.

KatBouska June 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

My friend and I were JUST talking about this last night. I'm so glad you posted on it AND had a little wake up call. Amen!

Debbie June 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

Good for you! What a great realization to achieve.

Anonymous,  June 4, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

The blahs have been going around. All my pals have the duldrums. Here on island evern back in the states. I think it is the summer funk. The summer is so wide open that most of us feel like it is to wide and don't know what to do with ourselves.

buffalodick June 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

Values are lost and found daily, but remember only one thing: Time marches on.You only have X amount of air left to breathe, make sure you are doing what you believe in, and hopefully enjoy. BuffaloDick Chronicles, Chapter two, Verse one..

Jenners June 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

I totally relate to this. There are days where I feel like I've "run out of love" but then I remind myself how lucky I really am. Sometimes when you get stuck in a rut, it can be hard to get out and remind yourself of how good it really is! Be easy on yourself!

Jeanne Estridge June 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM  

I'd give up cleaning.

(Glad you're feeling less blue!)

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP