Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blogging: Better for Aging

They say using your brain, as you get older, helps your brain. Makes sense.
Improves memory, mental agility, yadda yadda.

I'm here to say that blogging, when taken as directed, greatly improves memory and brain function. Why? Because all day long, when you have a tremendously epiphanous thought, and immediately think, "I must blog about this thought," but are, say, in the middle of a shower.. Or racing to get the potty under a toddler bottom when he needs to go. Or balancing Starbucks while climbing your steps with a babe-in-arms. Or walking around, patting him on the back, until he begins to close his drowsy eyes. When those moments happen, it is imperative to file away that momentous thought!

So will I? Can I? Is it possible to relate that great thought from this morning? Let's try.

I wasn't born to be a Stay-at-Home-Mom. I just wasn't. Some mothers were.. and it shows, in their uncanny ability to weave a handmade basket while knitting a scarf, scrap-booking with their other hand while cooking dinner and helping their toddler(s) make play-doh sculptures.

I feel proud when I get my teeth brushed, and it's before 9:00 AM.

But here's how I know God had a plan. When we moved away from promising careers working in banks (oh, WAIT a minute) in 2004, I had a few offers of employment in Charlottesville, VA. Our new town, for two years. I had an offer from a large-ish, reputable financial firm, and it was generous in salary but weak on time off.

I also had an offer from a non-profit. Working for the CFO. A very interesting job with very interesting people with illustrious backgrounds in enjoying life and being intellectual.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Money, or save the world? I chose to save the world.

That didn't work out. It did lead to another venture, working for a small Internet start-up in the finance realm, but was destined to end when we moved away. Then I got pregnant with our first son. Upon having him, I also didn't so much.. have .. a "job". Not exactly the time to go look for one, eh? And now t'ain't either.

It will be another blog post where I describe just how incredible this little tiny 2-1/2 year old mini-adult human really is, and how much he's changed our lives. Our goals. Our attitudes. What's important in life.. day-to-day, and as the weeks stack up on each other, leading to months and years.

But for whatever reason, God intended for me to be home every single day with this adorable and brilliant little man, and his adorable, cherubic baby brother. I can't question that, now or ever.

6 comments:

African American Mom February 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Hey! Visiting from SITS!

Hope you get to enjoy the snow!

TheFitHousewife February 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM  

Hi...visiting from SITS! Great blog, I look forward to reading more!

buffalodick February 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

My wife stayed home until they were in school full time, then she worked part time, until they were out of school...worked for us!

Anonymous,  February 7, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Can you believe this snow?

I really do think there is a plan. I didn't really intend to ever be s SAHM either, but I really am glad I'm doing it (most days anyway).

Honey Mommy February 9, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

I like blogging because it gives me something to think about and keeps me creative- even on the days where I feel like I am up to my armpits in housework and boys!

septembermom February 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

I agree with you wholeheartedly on focusing on what is important day to day in our lives. There are so many moments that can fill a piece of you if you notice them.

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP