Friday, May 21, 2010

Life. In A Painful Nutshell.

I really don't have time to post now. Naps are being gentled tugged away from my little guys... I should be doing prep work for the cookout I'm hosting. But I just really need to write this post. And I think I'll be glad later.

In the College of Arts and Sciences, we were treated to a whole neat selection of electives like "Asian Religions" by incredible professors. My Asian Religions class had a profound effect on me.. especially the section on Buddhism. Imagine, life being All Pain? Really? Like.. ALL life is suffering. Just have to get through the suffering; without it there would be no joy.

When I was gazing at my adorable cherubic infant who is currently experiencing sharp little razor blades coming through his bottom gum, I thought.. this is fitting. Isn't it?

Here is this little guy, just barely here. Barely six months old. He looks around, he sees a brand new world. Everything is great. Everything is fantastic! Everyone is so nice. Everyone is so accommodating. Everything I need, I am given!! Such joy, in this place called The World.

And then.. the pain.

It starts, probably, as a faint little ache in the gums. (Right? How the hell would we know?) Then it probably moves up to the jaw a little, a constant, dull aching.

Cutting teeth. Ouch! How painful is that? Imagine for a minute how that must feel. Didja ever get your wisdom teeth out? Yeah.

You just barely arrive here, happy as a baby, and then the pain begins. (And then, later, it really begins, when someone steals your toy and won't give it back, or you fall off the playground, or nobody wants to be your friend, or you get your heart broken. Or you forget you left the emergency break on when you start to go and smell an awful burning rubber smell.)

But look. We get through the pain. The constant-ness of it. Never ending, never a break until that tooth pokes through and one kid goes off to school (or college.)

The pain... then the joy... we like all of it.

4 comments:

J driscoll,  May 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

Great post...

perhaps joy and suffering are illusions (delusions?)
I think Rudolf Steine. would say the baby is closer to the ultimate (spirit) than most of us and feels the pain/pleasure more acutelly—ultimatelly I think it's about feeling the sensations of the mind/body but remotelly, from the perspective of the higher type—which trancends our childlike notions of life/death cycles.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings May 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

It is so true. . . so true. To get through the pain is to find the joy I'd say.

♥ Kathy May 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

very true and very well said..I'm glad you took the time to write it CDB ♥

You can help little man with the pain...when his gums swell just take a teaspoon and press the backside of it onto the swelled spot. You'll hear and/or feel the tooth pop through and the worst is behind him. I've busted all of our granddaughter Lexi's teeth in. It really helps her. She has 7 teeth now. She'll be one on Sunday :)

Ashley November 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

Nice information here today. I enjoyed taking in the post.

SiteMeter

Copyright

Copyright © 2008-2009 C.D. Bucher. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP